Read more about my story...
I'm a parent with kids in MMSD for 18 more years.
My oldest child is a first grader at Franklin Elementary School and I volunteer regularly in his classroom. My other two children will go through the public schools as they get older. I'm also on a City of Madison Community Board for Early Childhood Care and Education. I'm committed to making the education system in Madison amazing for all kids, and I believe we have the resources to succeed if we steward our resources right. Right now, current parent voices are underrepresented on the Board of Education, and I believe current parents should have a stronger voice on the board.
I'm an experienced leader.
The primary role of the School Board is to approve the budget and manage the superintendent. I have been CEO of a local business, on the Board of Directors for a local nonprofit, and spent the last decade leading management and budgeting decisions for some of the largest and most respected brands in the country. I'm used to solving tough problems, building innovative new programs, and approaching complex issues with focus and hard work. I am a deep listener, pragmatic thinker, and excellent at using money on the right things to get results.
Today's reality for schools means making hard choices about funding and managing funds wisely. Many of our current School Board members do not have experience with financial management, which makes this skill set all the more important. Our taxpayers deserve to have experienced School Board members as stewards of their money.
I've worked in public schools and believe in public education.
I was a peer mediation counselor in a large urban high school, working closely with youth, teachers, parents, and administrators to reduce violence, keep students in class more, and improve learning environments. Schools are vibrant, amazing places, and I was humbled by the amazing students, teachers and administrators I worked with.
Professional and Volunteer Experience:
- Working Capital for Community Needs, Board of Directors
- City of Madison Early Childhood Care and Education Committee, Community Board Member
- Volunteer, Franklin Elementary School
- Current: Latitude, Toews Consulting (early-stage company strategic advisory services)
- Previous: CEO, Chefs for Seniors
- 5 years, McKinsey & Company
- 4 years, Accenture
- Brighton High School in Boston Public Schools (Metropolitan Mediation Services)
- Project 540, a civic engagement platform with 250 public high schools (Pew Charitable Trusts)
- 2 years, Instructor, Leadership & Conflict Management (Brown University)
- Certified Mediator, Divorce Mediator, and Eviction / Small Claims Mediator
- Education: MBA, UC Berkeley Haas School of Business; BA, Brown University